The iconic landmarks of the Central Australian deserts need no introduction, and serve as the starting point for your immersion to the beating heart of Indigenous Australia.
Why Choose Central Australia?
- Start your journey by hearing the dreamtime stories that shaped the desert icons – Uluru and Kata Tjuta
- Discover prehistoric marine fossils while hiking through Kings Canyon with your local guide
- Explore the permit-protected APY Lands, camping on privately held Homelands with Traditional Owners and their families
- Dig for maku (witchetty grubs) in the roots of the witchetty tree – cook them – and eat them!
- Delight in other local delicacies like honey ants and kangaroo tail
- Explore the martian landscape with the custodians of 65,000 years of culture and history
- Learn about the flora and fauna of the central deserts, and how the locals use them
- Weave your own baskets with community Elders as your teachers
- Meet some of the most renowned Indigenous artists in Australia and paint your own masterpiece
- Spend time on Country with Traditional Owners, and learn the history and importance of the APY Lands
- Drop by a tiny local primary school to help out and play with the kids
No one who has been to Central Australia is left untouched by the incredible stories of the people who lend life to the land.